Monday, February 2, 2009

Schedules

I often wonder how other pastors spend their days each week. For many, I assume, it's very structured and ordered. For others, I imagine there is flexibility and less structure. But one thing is sure, we all need time alone to study and prepare messages. I'm the type that needs lots of time to perculate. From time to time, I'm asked how I spend my week. The joke of course, is that people say we have banker's hours. They may or may not be true. You can be the judge of that I suppose, but let me give you a glimpse into a typical week for me.

Monday
This is my day off. I usually do nothing church related, or at least I try, but sometimes I'll meet someone for lunch if necessary. It's a day for doing nothing, running errands, playing golf, working in the yard or just about anything I like to do. Monday night is home with family. The second Monday night of the month I meet with the Lead Team and Scott Spruill for dinner. I watch 24 every Monday night if possible.

Tuesday
I meet with Scott each Tuesday at 9:30 at Starbucks. We'll meet for two hours to talk about life and family or just about anything. Then we shift gears and talk through the previous Sunday and then plan for the upcoming Sunday. I usually meet someone from church for lunch. After lunch, I head to McAlisters or back to Starbucks and study for a few hours for Sunday's message. I then work out for an hour. Tuesday nights our small group comes over to our home from 7:00-9:00.

Wednesday
I work at the YMCA from 8:45-12:45. I work out after work, then grab a quick lunch and then off to McAlisters to study til 5:00. We have dinner at home with family. Some nights we'll meet with someone over coffee for counseling. I usually catch the Tarheels on TV Wednesday nights during basketball season.

Thursday
I study at home in my office til noon and then head off to lunch with someone from church. I head back home and study more for Sunday. Would love to prepare two or more weeks out but I just haven't gotten that good yet. Thursday we're home. I watch ER every Thursday night.

Friday
More study time for Sunday. I leave usually meet someone for lunch. Afterwards I put out about 12 Crosspoint signs around the area near the school where we meet. Friday afternoon I'll try to get a few more hours in on my message and then workout. Most Friday nights we're either out with friends, have someone over for dinner or take in a movie.

Saturday
I tweak my message Saturday. Get final copy on paper from the computer. I may run an occasional errand. Send any scriptures to Scott for powerpoint. Try to relax Saturday night for a couple of hours. Always in bed by 10:30 or 10:45.

Sunday
I'm up by 6:00. I study one last time, load up and head to Ardrey Kell High School by 8:00 to join the set up team in prayer and then I head to the back and pray and get alone. Our worship gathering is from 10:-00-11:20. Afterwards we go to lunch with the band and tech team or with someone new from our church. After lunch I pick up the Crosspoint signs and then home by 2:30. We either crash and watch TV or we may have a leadership team meeting in our home every other month around 5:00 through dinner.



No comments: