Monday, February 16, 2009

Church Hoppers

We've all seen them. You can hear them coming. They have the same m.o. You know who I'm talking about right? Church hoppers. Those folks that move from church to church because the grass is always greener on the other side. The ones who are a small fish in a big pond in one church, so they move to a smaller church so they can be a big fish in a small pond. You know why they hop around right? The music is too loud there, or the preaching's not deep enough over there, or the kids program is not cool enough for their kids here, or they need more programs to entertain their whole family, or... I think you get the picture. They're in every city and in every church. The first line is always the same. "We're looking for a church that's a fit for us!" What? A fit for you? As if church was meant to work for you? Sounds like a country club or a fitness center where you get serviced instead of saying, "how can we serve Christ here?" These folks, God bless them, think that the church exists for them instead of them existing for Christ and his Church. What we need is good people who understand God's vision for his church, where true Christ followers engage in the church so that they can find ways to serve their fellow brothers adn sisters and look for ways to take the church beyond the walls on Sunday to impact their community for Christ. Until we find followers of Christ who are willing to take on that kind of missional attitude, our churches will be full of nothing but overfed, critical christians who are neither healthy spiritually nor a joy to be around!

6 comments:

Runner Girl said...

Ouch! Sometimes the truth hurts!!! It must stink seeing this kind of behavior from your side of the pulpit. Completely frustrating, and heart breaking, I'm sure!!!

Runner Girl said...

I keep thinking about this post, Jimmy. It is festering in my mind. Okay, here comes the confession--I'm struggling to stay put in my own church, where I have only been for 4 years--but I feel like a square peg--so not fitting with my church peers!!!

I've been gently chastised for my "liberal" tendencies--reading things such as Rob Bell and The Shack--which has caused a definite shift in my perception of God and the Cross--and I feel as though I'm being called into the principal's office in order to be "set straight"--and pulled back into traditional "religious" thinking and behavior.

I'm growing and changing, and have found a new freedom and passion in my walk but the change in me has been difficult for many (myself included)--I fear I'm losing some friends because of it. It's all about grace (and truth) for me right now--and I'm trying not to judge, but fear I'm being judged harshly. And that makes it hard not to run!!! HELP!!!!!

Jimmy Wade said...

Kimberley, you're not a church hopper. You're dealing with frustrations that come from wanting to stretch your wings and be set free. I say good for you. If you're feeling like you're not fitting in because of your convictions, beliefs and willingness to think outside the box, then maybe it's time for a change. Find a missional community that's serious about following Christ wherever you find yourself. Glad to see you've been thinking about the post!

Runner Girl said...

Thank you, Jimmy. Your words are comforting. The struggle is deep and severe and taking its toll...though I know with everything in me that He will never leave or forsake me!!!! Even if my friends do!

Tillie said...

I can honestly say I have never considered this point of view! it is so great when you can open your mind and receive a revelation!!!

Nuelo said...

Thanks Jimmy. This s so true. I call this Church Prostitution. It is difficult to find committed members who will be there no matter what. One of the main reasons for church hopping Is hurts and offences. Help us Lord.