Saturday, July 16, 2011

Volunteerism

Today I was a volunteer at the Morrison YMCA Triatholon event that ran in South Charlotte around the Y and surrounding community! There were several hundred participants and a host of volunteers to help run things. I don't write this to toot my own horn so that you'll look at me! But I do write this to encourage those who follow Christ to get out in the community and serve! It was a pleasure to serve today and to help point runners in the right direction and then to help take down and clean up! There's something about rubbing shoulders with total strangers and working together on a unified event that stirs you to care for others and to make things better. Now this was just a race event but being able to encourage runners and support the Y was very rewarding and hopefully inspiring to others! It reminds you why we live in this community and why we should serve others. I did it because I love Christ and love others and so I feel compelled to volunteer! I think it's what Christ would do if he were here! It also reminds me that there's more to life than just hanging out with the same folks that I'm most comfortable with! That's easy to do and it's what I'm most likely to do! But I'm so glad I spent my Saturday morning doing whatever was needed to make a great event happen for the community! For those of us who love Christ, let's look for opportunities to get out of our comfort zones and serve our community and serve others! Let's do what Christ would do! Let's put our faith to work!

No comments: