Friday, May 29, 2009

Graduation

Well, today my daughter graduated from eighth grade. Now that might not seem like such a big deal to some of you, but to me, it's HUGE! My only girl is no longer in middle school. She is now a high school student. And you know what that means! Yes!! It also means she is growing just a little more independent and a little less in need of mom and dad. At least until she wants money or clothes or a car. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for growing up and becoming independent. That's what we raise our kids to be, independent. But it's just another reminder to this old dad that the minutes I have with "my little girl" at home are fleeting and the way of life as we've known it becomes a little less common with every single day that passes. But that's okay! The reason it's okay is that God is growing this "little girl" into the woman he wants her to be. He has stamped his love on her heart and he is not finished with her yet. Hopefully we have modeled for her a love for God, imperfect though it is, that will carry her through all of her life. It will be okay. I know that, but I just like the way things are now with my little girl, a slight dependence on mom and dad, the innocence of being a young teen, the lack of a serious boyfriend, the cute little girl who curls up on the sofa watching TV with dad and the constant sounds of "I love you dad" ringing down the hall. Some of those things will continue, but not all. So, today I take in and savor every minute. And I pray like crazy that "daddy's girl" never really grows up, at least not now and I trust God that he will see her through! Congrats Tay!

2 comments:

Runner Girl said...

If it is any comfort to know...this 40 year old woman is STILL a daddy's girl! Like God's character, some things just never change!

Ken Haugh said...

May I encourage you to have regular dates with her, Jimmy. Just you and her. And let nothing get in the way of them. I did this with my daughters and we went wherever they wanted. It might have been only ice cream or a movie but it was their night. And we talked, and talked, and talked. It was a joy, a privilege, to spend time with them and it kept the lines of communication open. It was one of the most important things I could have done and some of the most enjoyable.